LOGBinder EX - Installation success or error status: 1603.

LOGBinder EX - Installation success or error status: 1603.

pushpendra.rathi

Dear LOGBinder team

I am getting error following error while installing the LOGbinder EX "LOGbinder.EX.3.4.20.0.x64.msi" on Windows 2012 R2 server.

See error below & for more logs please see attached log file which I generated by using the the command line installation  Example : "msiexec /i SomeApp.msi /l*vx %temp%\SomeApp.log"

MSI (c) (E0:F0) [12:57:36:155]: Product: LOGbinder for Exchange -- Installation failed.

MSI (c) (E0:F0) [12:57:36:155]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: LOGbinder for Exchange. Product Version: 3.4.20.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: LOGbinder, a division of Monterey Technology Group, Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

Note : The user which I am using to install LOGBinder is having LOCAL ADMIN rights, it's added to local admin group which you can also see in install.log, it says somewhere in logs that "Product installation will be elevated because user is admin and product is being installed per-machine.". AND SYSTEM USER is having full control in the respective drive.

Please help.

Regards

bjvista

pushpendra.rathi - 7/25/2017
Dear LOGBinder team

I am getting error following error while installing the LOGbinder EX "LOGbinder.EX.3.4.20.0.x64.msi" on Windows 2012 R2 server.

See error below & for more logs please see attached log file which I generated by using the the command line installation  Example : "msiexec /i SomeApp.msi /l*vx %temp%\SomeApp.log"

MSI (c) (E0:F0) [12:57:36:155]: Product: LOGbinder for Exchange -- Installation failed.

MSI (c) (E0:F0) [12:57:36:155]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: LOGbinder for Exchange. Product Version: 3.4.20.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: LOGbinder, a division of Monterey Technology Group, Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

Note : The user which I am using to install LOGBinder is having LOCAL ADMIN rights, it's added to local admin group which you can also see in install.log, it says somewhere in logs that "Product installation will be elevated because user is admin and product is being installed per-machine.". AND SYSTEM USER is having full control in the respective drive.

Please help.

Regards

The files are not attached.  Can you try attaching them again or sending to me via a private message?
bjvista

The log says:
MSI (s) (28:78) [12:57:30:795]: Executing op: FolderCreate(Folder=C:\ProgramData\,Foreign=0,SecurityDescriptor=BinaryData,)
Info 1926. Could not set file security for file 'C:\ProgramData\'. Error: 0. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to modify the security permissions for this file.

You said you were a local admin but often Windows UAC gets in the way.  Please run the installer using the "Run as administrator" option.  To do this on an MSI you will have to call it via an elevated cmd prompt. 
pushpendra.rathi

bjvista - 7/26/2017
The log says:
MSI (s) (28:78) [12:57:30:795]: Executing op: FolderCreate(Folder=C:\ProgramData\,Foreign=0,SecurityDescriptor=BinaryData,)
Info 1926. Could not set file security for file 'C:\ProgramData\'. Error: 0. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to modify the security permissions for this file.

You said you were a local admin but often Windows UAC gets in the way.  Please run the installer using the "Run as administrator" option.  To do this on an MSI you will have to call it via an elevated cmd prompt. 

Hello There..
I have already seen each & every error in the log file I sent you..
It's not only me saying that user is local admin, the logs I sent you clearly state that the user is ADMIN too, please see the NOTE in my original post. So yes, the use is admin.. UAC is changed too..

Moreover, C:\ProgramData\ has full control as the user is local ADMIN.. I can create/delete/modify the folders/files into C:\ProgramData\ using the user which is logged in to system..

And, I also ran the CMD as ADMIN and executed the MSI but it'same issue, nothing worked...
And also RAN the MSI by right clicking AS another user which is local admin but nothing worked...

Thanks.

bjvista

pushpendra.rathi - 7/26/2017
bjvista - 7/26/2017
The log says:

Hello There..
It's not only me saying that user is local admin, the logs I sent you clearly state that the user is ADMIN too, please see the NOTE in my original post. So yes, the use is admin.. UAC is changed too..

Moreover, C:\ProgramData\ has full control as the user is local ADMIN.. I can create/delete/modify the folders/files into C:\ProgramData\ using the user which is logged in to system..

And, I also ran the CMD as ADMIN and executed the MSI but it'same issue, nothing worked...
And also RAN the MSI by right clicking AS another user which is local admin but nothing worked...

Thanks.

Which account is the service running as?  This service account needs permissions to create/modify the C:\ProgramData folder.
pushpendra.rathi

bjvista - 7/26/2017
bjvista - 7/26/2017
The log says:

Hello There..

Thanks.

Which account is the service running as?  This service account needs permissions to create/modify the C:\ProgramData folder.
That user is ADMIN too, we made it to test it.

However, I do not think that should have anything to do with the installation, also none of your installation instructions say that the service account should be given any extra privileges (except on exchange roles) on the machine where the LB is being installed..

Also, just for your information..

While installing LOGBinder for exchange, if you leave all three options where you supply the service account (user, domain and password) empty, it would still install the LOGbinder software successfully..
Please try that doing on your laptop quickly by leaving all three options empty & it will install like charm.

bjvista

bjvista - 7/26/2017
bjvista - 7/26/2017
The log says:

Hello There..

Thanks.

However, I do not think that should have anything to do with the installation, also none of your installation instructions say that the service account should be given any extra privileges (except on exchange roles) on the machine where the LB is being installed..

While installing LOGBinder for exchange, if you leave all three options where you supply the service account (user, domain and password) empty, it would still install the LOGbinder software successfully..
Please try that doing on your laptop quickly by leaving all three options empty & it will install like charm.

1. The getting started guide (https://support.logbinder.com/LOGbinderforExchangeKB/50027/1-Installing-LOGbinder-for-Exchange) Step 2 number 2 lists permissions needed for the service account.  Under the 2nd bullet point you will see the permissions you did not see.  Since you missed this permission please make sure you have seen the others and confirm they are correct.  May be this is part of the issue. 

2. Yes you are correct.  If you leave the fields blank it will still install.  But the service will not run.  The first time you run the service from the LOGbinder Control Panel it will prompt you for credentials. 
pushpendra.rathi

bjvista - 7/26/2017
bjvista - 7/26/2017
bjvista - 7/26/2017
The log says:

Hello There..

Thanks.

1. The getting started guide (https://support.logbinder.com/LOGbinderforExchangeKB/50027/1-Installing-LOGbinder-for-Exchange) Step 2 number 2 lists permissions needed for the service account.  Under the 2nd bullet point you will see the permissions you did not see.  Since you missed this permission please make sure you have seen the others and confirm they are correct.  May be this is part of the issue. 

2. Yes you are correct.  If you leave the fields blank it will still install.  But the service will not run.  The first time you run the service from the LOGbinder Control Panel it will prompt you for credentials. 

Well, I am not able to install that even by leaving those service account related options BLANK.
And as I said, the service account is LOCAL ADMIN too, I have tried to install it at least 20 times that's how I learned that if I leave those options blank, it would still work... Forget about running the service, I am not even able to install it..

I have requested a new server so will try to install on that one but I would like to report the issue and also be prepared if I face the same issue on 2nd machine too.

Would it be possible for you to provide me the OLDER versions of LOGBider EX software? Just to give a try with older versions.

Please note : These are VMware servers, installed with Windows 2012 R2.

Thanks.

Tamas Lengyel

bjvista - 7/26/2017
bjvista - 7/26/2017
bjvista - 7/26/2017
The log says:

Hello There..

Thanks.

Well, I am not able to install that even by leaving those service account related options BLANK.
And as I said, the service account is LOCAL ADMIN too, I have tried to install it at least 20 times that's how I learned that if I leave those options blank, it would still work... Forget about running the service, I am not even able to install it..

I have requested a new server so will try to install on that one but I would like to report the issue and also be prepared if I face the same issue on 2nd machine too.

Would it be possible for you to provide me the OLDER versions of LOGBider EX software? Just to give a try with older versions.

Thanks.

Hi,

Installation error 1603 is very generic and there could be several causes why it happens as a quick search on the net reveals (see, for example here or here).

The good thing is, that you've already done the next step and got the installation logs. Thanks.

The logs say that "Could not set file security for file 'C:\ProgramData\'." So that's where the problem seem to be. Please try running the installer with the 'Run as administrator' option. This migt be necessary even if the user is a local admin. Additionally, check that any GPO settings don't interfere and impose the restriction that prevents the installation.

An older version of LOGbinder would not help. The latest version should be able to install. We have made many improvements in the past releases, we would not like to revert back to those already solved issues. Please use the latest installer.

Let us know how it goes after double-checking the permissions, using the 'Run as administrator' option and ensuring that no GPO setting poses restrictions on the installation process.

Tamas Lengyel

pushpendra.rathi - 8/8/2017
Tamas Lengyel - 8/8/2017
bjvista - 7/26/2017
bjvista - 7/26/2017
bjvista - 7/26/2017
The log says:

Hello There..

Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi,

Installation error 1603 is very generic and there could be several causes why it happens as a quick search on the net reveals (see, for example here or here).

The good thing is, that you've already done the next step and got the installation logs. Thanks.

The logs say that "Could not set file security for file 'C:\ProgramData\'." So that's where the problem seem to be. Please try running the installer with the 'Run as administrator' option. This migt be necessary even if the user is a local admin. Additionally, check that any GPO settings don't interfere and impose the restriction that prevents the installation.

An older version of LOGbinder would not help. The latest version should be able to install. We have made many improvements in the past releases, we would not like to revert back to those already solved issues. Please use the latest installer.

Let us know how it goes after double-checking the permissions, using the 'Run as administrator' option and ensuring that no GPO setting poses restrictions on the installation process.

Hello There,
Thanks for your response again,
I wonder what took you so many days to post this reply..

So, for your information, I have already gone each and every line into the debug logs & also seen the error ""Could not set file security for file 'C:\ProgramData\'".
The user though which I am installing the LB software is member of local ADMIN group and it is able to create/delete/modify the files/folders inside that "C:\ProgramData\'" folder manually without any problem.

Moreover, I have gone through 200+ articles over the internet related to this error & tried all of them so if there is any specific suggestion from your side then please feel free to point me into that direction so I can try that.

I really appreciate your response, but it's really unfortunate that you are asking me to repeat the same things which I have already clarified to you last month. Please go and read my older reply where I clearly stated that I have already executed the MSI as other user "run as admin", run as other user, & also ran the CMD & power shell with RUN AS ADMIN and executed the MSI using the CMD/PowerShell CLI but nothing worked. 

We have build the new server, tried to install on that but faced the similar problem/issue, and there is no such GPO settings which interfere and impose the restriction to prevent the installation as I am able to install other stuff successfully on same servers. If you have any specific GPO to point out please let me know so I can double check that. If you can pass my advise to the developer team, please ask them to develop the prerequisite checks to run on the system so it can assess the system before proceeding to install the software, it would make things much easy.

And last, I know that any latest version of software would have lots of improvements, but that does not make it perfect, if it was perfect then you wont have to release any further updates, So I wonder why do you think that older version of LOGbinder would not help ? Why can't you just give me couple of OLD installer version & let me try to install & check if I still faces the same issue ? What is the big deal in that? 

I would appropriate if you can help & respond quickly, because if the issue is not solved quickly then the customer wold have no use of putting so much efforts.
Thanks.

My supervisor has directed me to let's continue this in a live session, so we can better assist you. I'll send a private message to set up a suitable time for the online session.

GO